[DISCLOSURE: Cards from our partners are mentioned below.]
Traveling is fun, and for what it’s worth, most of us would do it all year round if we could. Traveling costs time and money, so there’s a good chance that you have to plan and save for your vacations.
However, with the right kind of co-branded travel credit card, you can plan your dream vacation. Co-branded travel credit cards can help you earn discounts, travel in style, and earn lots of rewards.
What are Co-Branded Credit Cards?
A co-branded credit card is exactly what it sounds like. They are credit cards sponsored by two parties. The main party sponsoring card networks like Mastercard, American Express, Discover and Visa.
The second party is usually a retailer such as an airline, department store, or even a travel company. The idea behind co-branded travel cards is that they bring customers to both parties. Customers also have a chance to get rewards for using that particular credit card. These rewards typically include discounts and frequent flier miles.
These rewards offered by co-branded credit cards can help win over the customer’s loyalty to both brands. As such, it can be extremely beneficial for both the travel company and the credit card network.
Co-branded travel credit cards are particularly useful for travelers since, depending on the card, cardholders usually earn a host of other benefits including discounts, extra miles that can add up to free trips, and free checked bags.
The Advantages of Using Co-Branded Credit Card
As a traveler, you may wonder why you’d want a co-branded travel credit card. If you’re loyal to a particular airline, then you can earn tons of miles with that airline. This can pay off in the long run on future trips. These rewards are a huge advantage, but there are other reasons you might want to consider getting a co-branded travel credit card.
Here are some other advantages that come with having one:
- They are internationally accepted: Most co-branded travel credit cards are accepted internationally. They usually don’t have foreign transaction fees and can be used in most countries outside the United States.
- 24/7 assistance: Many major credit card issuers offer 24/7 assistance if you’re traveling abroad. This can include helping you find a doctor or hospital, or helping you with legal and financial emergencies overseas.
- Access to airport lounges: Many co-branded travel credit cards give you access to airport lounges so that you can travel in comfort. These lounges are usually exclusive and more comfortable than airport terminals during a long layover!
Cardholders also get all the rewards and the perks that come with these cards including extra miles, discounts, and free checked bags. Having one of these credit cards is something of privilege that every international traveler should take advantage of.
Co-Branded Travel Credit Cards for Consideration
There are many co-branded credit cards on the market, which have their own unique set of rewards and benefits. Some of our favorites are the Delta SkyMiles credit cards from American Express.
Blue Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
- Earn 10,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- No Annual Fee.
- Earn 2 miles per dollar at US restaurants.
- Earn 2 miles per dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile on every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
- Receive a 20% In-Flight Savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Terms Apply.
Card Details +
Many co-branded travel credit cards come with an annual fee. However, the Blue Delta SkyMiles card does not. Cardholders earn two miles per dollar spent at U.S. restaurants and on purchases made directly with Delta. All other eligible purchases earn one mile per dollar. Plus, new cardholders can earn 10,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in purchases in the first three months. The card also offers a 20% in-flight savings in the form of a statement credit on eligible Delta in-flight purchases on food, beverages, and audio headsets.
Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
- Earn 30,000 Bonus Miles after spending $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 miles on every dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile for every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
- Check your first bag free on Delta flights - that's a savings of up to $200 per round trip for a family of four.
- Want even more flexibility? Pay with Miles is a Card Member feature that gives you the option to redeem miles for all or part of the price of your tickets on Delta.com.
- Settle into your seat sooner with Priority Boarding.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
Card Details +
Unlike the Blue Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express, the Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card has an annual fee (waived the first year). However, credit cards with annual fees usually come with more perks. The Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card offers two miles on every dollar spent directly with Delta and one mile per dollar on all other eligible purchases. Other benefits include a free checked bag on Delta flights and Priority Boarding. There is also a welcome offer of 30,000 bonus miles after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first three months as well as a $50 statement credit after your first Delta purchase in the first three months.
There is no doubt that co-branded credit cards come with great perks for travelers who use them. Not only that, but they offer you the chance to save money with your favorite airlines! Remember that when applying for one of these credit cards, you must have good or excellent credit. If you’re thinking about applying for one of these cards, check your credit score today for free. Credit.com offers two credit scores, updated every 14 days, as well as a summary of your credit report so that you know where you stand.