[DISCLOSURE: Cards from our partners are mentioned below.]
With the holidays coming up, America is looking forward to a giant coma-inducing turkey dinner and football. Not to mention, what comes after – Black Friday. The sales that stores are having are getting consumers excited about holiday gift shopping and many are likely to put their purchases on credit cards – which can be a great strategy to earn extra points and cash back. If you’re looking for a new credit card to help you with your holiday shopping, Credit.com has you covered. We’ve selected our favorite credit cards for this year’s Black Friday.
Discover it® Cash Back
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. There's no signing up. And no limit to how much is matched.
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com and more up to the quarterly maximum, each time you activate.
- Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Redeem cash back any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.
- Use your rewards at Amazon.com checkout.
- Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- No annual fee.
Card Details +
The Discover it Cash Back is one of the best credit cards for Black Friday. This card offers 1% cash back on all purchases as well as 5% cash back on different categories each quarter (categories must be activated). For 2018, the 5% cash back categories through December 31st include Amazon.com and wholesale clubs like Sam’s Club and Costco. These stores are bound to have amazing sales this year, and if you prefer online shopping, then you’re bound to find great deals on Amazon while earning a good amount of cash back! Plus, you can use your rewards when shopping on Amazon.com, which makes shopping even more convenient. Did we mention that the first 14 months on purchases is interest free?
This credit card is a favorite for the holidays. When you’re out shopping on Black Friday, you’ll probably want to grab a bite to eat somewhere. Or maybe go watch a holiday movie. The Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card offers a generous 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, which is a higher return than many credit cards – although there is an annual fee, which is waived the first year. The upside is that you can earn 4% cash back on purchases for tickets to sporting events, concerts, theme parks, and other fun places, so if these are on your holiday shopping list, then the cash back can really add up.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.99-25.74%. Balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
- No annual fee
Card Details +
The Chase Freedom card is another great option for Black Friday – especially if you’re planning on hitting up some of your favorite department stores this holiday season. Chase Freedom offers 1% cash back on all purchases and 5% cash back on different categories each quarter. For the rest of 2018 through December 31st, the 5% cash back categories include department stores, wholesale clubs, and purchases made through Chase Pay (categories must be activated, up to $1,500 in purchases). Additionally, the card offers a 0% APR for 15 months, and you can use your points at Amazon.com if you prefer online shopping.
Black Friday shopping can be exhilarating and fun! Plus, using credit cards is safer than using debit cards and they have the advantage of helping you earn rewards. Remember to consider though things like interest rates and your budget. If you tend to go big during the holidays and plan on carrying balances over, then you’ll likely want to consider a credit card like the Discover it Cash Back or Chase Freedom that offers an introductory 0% APR period. Lastly, you’ll want to check your credit score to make sure your credit is in tip-top shape before applying for a new credit card. Check yours today for free at credit.com.
At publishing time, the Discover it® Cash Back, Capital One Savor, and Chase Freedom, cards are offered through Credit.com product pages, and Credit.com is compensated if our users apply for and ultimately sign up for any of these cards. However, this relationship does not result in any preferential editorial treatment. This content is not provided by the card issuer(s). Any opinions expressed are those of Credit.com alone, and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by the issuer(s).
Note: It’s important to remember that interest rates, fees, and terms for credit cards, loans, and other financial products frequently change. As a result, rates, fees, and terms for credit cards, loans, and other financial products cited in these articles may have changed since the date of publication. Please be sure to verify current rates, fees, and terms with credit card issuers, banks, or other financial institutions directly.