[DISCLOSURE: Cards from our partners are mentioned below.]
Life can be stressful so it’s no wonder people seek out entertainment. So many great movies are coming out and it’s a temptation to go see them in theaters with a giant tub of popcorn. Or you might be tempted to splurge on a date night to a comedy show or a concert to see your favorite band, which can be tons of fun. Did you know that these types of purchases can help you rack up credit card rewards? These can really pay off in the long run.
Here are three credit cards that reward you for treating yourself:
The Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card is one of the best cards out there for earning rewards on entertainment purchases. Cardholders earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, which can seriously add up if you go out a lot. Staying in for dinner instead before hitting the town? Cardholders who prefer to cook earn 2% cash back at supermarkets. All other purchases earn 1% cash back. There is also a $500 cash bonus for new cardholders who spend $3,000 on purchases within the first three months. The card does come with an annual fee, but if you don’t want to pay it, you can apply for the version of the card that doesn’t have one – the Capital One SavorOne Rewards Cash Rewards Credit Card, which offers 3% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% cash back at supermarkets, and 1% cash back on everything else.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Card Details +
Love traveling? Dining experiences? Chase Sapphire Preferred offers you 2X the points on both these things worldwide so you’re not restricted to just earning points at merchants in the United States (all other purchases earn 1% cash back). The Sapphire Preferred offers a generous sign-up bonus of 50,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first three months of the account opening. When cardholders redeem their points through Chase’s rewards program Chase Ultimate Rewards, they earn 25% more value. These points can be put toward airfare, hotels, car rentals, and cruises. Cardholders can also redeem gift cards for different merchants such as movie theaters and restaurants, but the additional value doesn’t apply on these types of redemptions.
The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
Card Details +
After that fun night out do you need a ride home? The Platinum Card from American Express offers complimentary Uber rides. Cardholders can earn up to $15 each month plus a bonus of $20 in December. Cardholders can also get access to exclusive entertainment experiences. The Global Dining Collection allows cardholders special reservations at restaurants and the By Invitation Only program can get cardholders into once-in-a-lifetime events that include sports, fashion, dining, and the arts. This card comes with lots of perks, but remember that there is a $550 annual fee price tag on it.
Get Rewarded for Having Fun!
Everyone wants to have a little fun once in awhile – whether it’s seeing that new Marvel movie, watching your favorite sports team. Credit cards come with high APRs, so make sure these entertainment expenses fit in your budget so that you don’t carry a balance month to month. Also, these credit cards require excellent credit to qualify, so get your free credit score now to see where you stand.
At publishing time, the Capital One Savor, Chase Sapphire Preferred, and The Platinum Card from American Express credit cards are offered through Credit.com product pages, and Credit.com is compensated if our users apply and ultimately sign up for these cards. However, these relationships do not result in any preferential editorial treatment. This content is not provided by the card issuers. Any opinions expressed are those of Credit.com alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the issuers.
Note: It’s important to remember that interest rates, fees and terms for credit cards, loans and other financial products frequently change. As a result, rates, fees and terms for credit cards, loans and other financial products cited in these articles may have changed since the date of publication. Please be sure to verify current rates, fees and terms with credit card issuers, banks or other financial institutions directly.