[DISCLOSURE: Cards from our partners are mentioned below.]
Whether you’re a fashion-focused socialite or a busy parent with growing kids, clothing expenses can make up a big chunk of your overall spending. Some credit cards can help you afford clothes and earn rewards as you shop for fresh threads.
Here are three credit cards you can use to stock your wardrobe.
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- $200 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%) - that means spending $60 a week at U.S. supermarkets could earn over $180 back per year.
- 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores, 1% back on other purchases.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable rate, currently 14.74% to 25.74%.
- Over 1.5 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in 2017.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
- $95 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
Card Details +
Rewards: 6% cash back on up to $6,000 in annual US supermarket purchases; 3% cash back at US gas stations and participating department stores; 1% cash back on other purchases.
Welcome Offer: $200 bonus statement credit if you spend $1,000 in the first three months.
Annual Fee: $95
Annual Percentage Rate (APR): 0% for 12 months on purchases, then 14.74%-25.74% Variable APR.
Why We Picked It: You’ll earn cash back at qualifying department stores.
For Your Wardrobe: You’ll earn an impressive 3% cash back rate at 16 participating department stores, including Bloomingdale’s, J.C. Penney, Kohl’s, Macy’s, Nordstrom, and Saks Fifth Avenue.
Drawbacks: There’s a $95 annual fee.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.74-25.49%. Balance transfer fee is 5% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
- No annual fee
Card Details +
Rewards: 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in purchases per quarter for rotating categories and 1% cash back on other purchases.
Signup Bonus: $150 bonus cash if you spend $500 in the first three months.
Annual Fee: $0
APR: 0% for 15 months on purchases, then 16.74% - 25.49% Variable APR.
Why We Picked It: This quarter, purchases at qualifying stores earn 5% cash back.
For Your Wardrobe: Through the end of 2017, the bonus category is Walmart and department store purchases. Any clothes you buy at these retailers will earn 5% cash back.
Drawbacks: You’ll have to keep track of the rotating categories each quarter.
Discover it® Balance Transfer
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. There's no signing up. And no limit to how much is matched.
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com, or wholesale clubs up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate. Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Redeem cash back any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.
- 100% U.S. based customer service.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- No annual fee.
Card Details +
Rewards: 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in purchases per quarter for varying categories of items and 1% cash back on other purchases.
Sign-Up Bonus: Discover will match all cash back earned in the first year.
Annual Fee: $0
APR: 0% APR for 18 months on balance transfers and 6 months on purchases, then 13.74% - 24.74% Variable on purchases & balance transfersAPR.
Why We Picked It: If you shop at the right merchants, both online and in-store clothing purchases can earn you 5% cash back each year.
For Your Wardrobe: Through the end of 2017, Target and Amazon.com purchases would earn you 5% cash back. If you get your clothes at these retailers, you can really clean up.
Drawbacks: Bonus categories change every quarter, and they won’t always be wardrobe-focused.
How to Choose the Right Credit Card for Stocking Your Wardrobe
You should choose a credit card that rewards the types of purchases you tend to make. Some credit cards focus on department stores, while others may reward online purchases. If you tend to shop around, a credit card with a flat cash back rate on every purchase might be a great fit.
Some credit card companies have online marketplaces that offer exclusive discounts or increased rewards at select retailers, including department stores and leading fashion brands. You can get deals, coupons, or even extra cash back by shopping at participating stores. For any card you’re considering, check to see if the issuer has an online marketplace that features your favorite brands.
You may be tempted to apply for a store credit card at your favorite retailer. But be careful—store credit cards often have higher fees and interest rates, can’t be used at other stores, and have unimpressive rewards compared to major credit card brands.
What Credit Is Required for a Card to Shop for Clothes?
The best rewards credit cards require good to excellent credit. Make sure to check your credit score before you apply, since you’ll want to be confident about your chances of getting approved. You can check your credit report free at Credit.com.
At publishing time, the Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express, the Chase Freedom card, and the Discover it card are offered through Credit.com product pages, and Credit.com is compensated if our users apply for and ultimately sign up for any of these cards. However, this relationship does not result in any preferential editorial treatment. This content is not provided by the card issuer(s). Any opinions expressed are those of Credit.com alone, and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by the issuer(s).
Note: It’s important to remember that interest rates, fees, and terms for credit cards, loans, and other financial products frequently change. As a result, rates, fees, and terms for credit cards, loans and other financial products cited in these articles may have changed since the date of publication. Please be sure to verify current rates, fees, and terms with credit card issuers, banks, or other financial institutions directly.