[UPDATE: Some offers mentioned below have expired and/or are no longer available on our site. You can view the current offers from our partners in our credit card marketplace. DISCLOSURE: Cards from our partners are mentioned below.]
The convenience factor and the ability to avoid the crowds certainly make online shopping attractive, and even grocery services like Amazon’s Prime Pantry can help cut down on trips to the grocery store.
If you do a lot of shopping online, you’re already aware of these benefits. But perhaps you may not be aware that you can enhance this experience by using a credit card that gives you cash back rewards and other perks when shopping online. But there are a lot of credit cards out there, so how do you know which can reward you the best? We’re here to help.
Here are three of the best cards for online shopping.
Discover it® Cash Back
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. There's no signing up. And no limit to how much is matched.
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com, or wholesale clubs up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate.
- Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Redeem cash back any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.
- Use your rewards at Amazon.com checkout.
- Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- No annual fee.
Card Details +
The Discover it Card comes in a few variations, but the Discover it Cash Back is great for online shoppers, as the card comes with a strong mix of rewards and bonuses.
The card offers 5% cash back for purchases in categories that switch every quarter, but often include online stores (just make sure you’re paying attention to the updates each quarter so you know what purchases qualify). Beyond that, you’ll receive 1% cash back on all other purchases. Best of all, you can redeem your earned rewards when you’re checking out on Amazon.
For new customers, Discover matches all cash back earned in the card’s first year, so shoppers essentially double their cash back rewards. There’s also no annual fee and 0% APR on both purchases and balance transfers for the first 14 months. After that, there is an APR of 13.74% - 24.74% Variable on purchases & balance transfers
Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
- Earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay
- Balance Transfers do not earn cash back
- 0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 15.24% - 25.24% based on your creditworthiness*
- Click 'Apply Now' to see the applicable balance transfer fee and how making a balance transfer impacts interest on purchases
- No categories to track, no caps on cash back, no annual fee*
Card Details +
The Citi Double Cash card is a well-balanced card that doesn’t have a revolving rewards program like Discover. Cardholders won’t need to keep checking purchase categories quarterly. Instead, Citi Double Cash card owners earn 2% cash back: 1% cash back on all purchases and then an additional 1% when the purchase is paid off. That’s right — this card rewards you twice. Most of all, these cash back rewards are unlimited and never expire. (Full Disclosure: Citibank, as well as Discover and Chase, advertise on Credit.com, but that results in no preferential editorial treatment.) For deal hunters, Citi’s Price Rewind feature will refund customers on eligible purchases if a lower price is found within 60 days.
This card comes with an APR of 15.24% - 25.24%* (Variable), based on your creditworthiness, and no annual fee.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.74-25.49%. Balance transfer fee is 5% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
- No annual fee
Card Details +
The Chase Freedom credit card automatically gives you 5% cash back for up to $1,500 per quarter at eligible merchants. The merchants rotate on a quarterly basis — for instance, this quarter’s eligible merchants include department stores (both in-store and online purchases), wholesale clubs and drug stores. Cardholders also get 1% cash back on all other purchases. And the cash back rewards never expire. And, after you spend $500 in the first three months after opening your account, you’ll be rewarded with a $150 bonus.
This card does not have an annual fee and comes with a 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 15 months. After that, the APR is 16.74% - 25.49% Variable, depending on your creditworthiness.
Before you sign up for any of these cards, it’s a good idea to find out where your credit stands, as that will help determine the terms and conditions for which you are eligible. You can see two of your credit scores for free, updated every 14 days, on Credit.com.
Note: It’s important to remember that interest rates, fees and terms for credit cards, loans and other financial products frequently change. As a result, rates, fees and terms for credit cards, loans and other financial products cited in these articles may have changed since the date of publication. Please be sure to verify current rates, fees and terms with credit card issuers, banks or other financial institutions directly.
At publishing time, the Discover it Cash Back, Citi Double Cash Card, and Chase Freedom cards are offered through Credit.com product pages, and Credit.com is compensated if our users apply and ultimately sign up for these cards. However, these relationships do not result in any preferential editorial treatment.