Home > 2012 > Personal Finance > Moving Military Can Get Help With Expenses

Moving Military Can Get Help With Expenses

Advertiser Disclosure Comments 0 Comments

During spring and summer, many military members are required to move because they received Permanent Change of Station orders. And that can very quickly create a hectic situation.

Often, moving isn’t especially inexpensive, but there are an array of options service members may have available to them that they can tap to make sure the transition to their new station goes as smoothly as possible, according to a report from the U.S. Department of Defense.

The first thing you should do when you receive a PCS order is seek out your installation relocation office to determine what allowances you will be able to receive, as well as get in touch with several agencies that can help ease your transition. The office will also be able to give you a lot of other helpful information and aid you in planning your move.

[Credit Calculator: Use Credit.com’s Free Credit Report Card]

Depending upon where your new station is located – either within the U.S. or outside it – you will have a number of different allowances, but it’s important to remember you may not receive all of them, the report said. An installation housing office will help you determine exactly which you qualify for, and whether there is any government housing available to you when you move. If not, it can also help you to find private housing or arrange temporary lodging until more permanent arrangements can be made.


Credit Report Card
Check your credit for free with this great tool from Credit.com. It offers expert advice on how to manage your credit. And you can return every 30 days for unlimited free updates.
Sign Up Here »

Further, it may be able to help you better understand exactly what does and does not qualify for the various housing allowances you may be able to receive, the report said. For example, there are a wide variety of “household goods” that qualify to be moved, as well as many that do not. In addition, service members moving overseas may ship one personally owned vehicle at government expense, but that vehicle must be for personal use only.

[Featured Products: Research and Compare Mortgage Rates at Credit.com]

Finally, all moving-related transactions should be made through the DOD’s official worldwide moving site, Move.mil, the report said. Working with your transportation office as early in the process as possible is also recommended.

Moving can be a hectic time that can throw a lot of your finances into disarray, so it’s important that you stay on top of everything and keep close tabs on all payments so nothing slips through the cracks.

Image: Cherie A. Thurlby, via Flickr

Comments on articles and responses to those comments are not provided or commissioned by a bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by a bank advertiser. It is not a bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Please note that our comments are moderated, so it may take a little time before you see them on the page. Thanks for your patience.

Certain credit cards and other financial products mentioned in this and other articles on Credit.com News & Advice may also be offered through Credit.com product pages, and Credit.com will be compensated if our users apply for and ultimately sign up for any of these cards or products. However, this relationship does not result in any preferential editorial treatment.