Credit Score

Can You Sue for Credit Report Damage?

Comments 6 Comments

Can you, or should you, sue if wrong information isn’t removed from your credit report? Attorney Robert Brennan was recently a guest on my Internet radio show, EverydayWealth Radio: Your Consumer Advocate and he shared some insights on lawsuits related to credit damage. Brennan happens to be a very successful litigator in the area of consumer credit damage, and has even been voted a "super lawyer" by his peers.

Brennan noted that consumers who successfully sue for credit damage may be awarded attorneys fees, damages and even punitive damages. While I had cautioned consumers in the past that these cases are difficult to win, Brennan boasts an impressive success rate. Before you rush to hire an attorney, however, he recommends you take these steps:

Check your credit report and dispute any erroneous items by filing a dispute with the credit reporting agency and the creditor or agency reporting the negative item. Include copies of any documentation you have, and keep good records. If they don’t respond or don’t remove the wrong information, you may need to talk with a consumer law attorney with experience in Fair Credit Reporting Act cases. Of course, if you are in Southern California, you may want to contact Robert Brennan’s law firm.

We also discussed a question from a listener who wondered whether it was legal for a debt collector to check her credit report on a debt that was fifteen years old. While Brennan pointed out that there is no case law on that specific issue, it would be likely that particular inquiry was unauthorized, and he does go into detail about the issue of unauthorized inquiries on his website.

If you would like to learn more about your rights when it comes to credit damage, you can listen to my radio interview with Robert Brennan online 24/7. Simply type "Robert Brennan" into the search field.

Please note that our comments are moderated, so it may take a little time before you see them on the page. Thanks for your patience.

  • Etienne Rodriguez

    I have started to restore my credit in my credit reports. During the process I have came accross an issue. DOE has reported to Transunion and maybe Equifax and Experian an amount of 11,000 loan on my report which was an error. With this in mind it has been nine years of trying to make a purchase hindering my credibility and even to the point were I have paid high interest rate on an automobile. I have discovered this today and I am wondering if I have a case, I can provide proof. The total shows 23,000 when I only owe 11,000 listed for many years. I also have a medical treatment history for depression which was caused. Feel free to contact me

    • Gerri Detweiler

      Ms. Rodriques –

      You’ll want to talk with a consumer law attorney to find out what your rights are here. Visit for a referral to one with expertise in credit reporting matters.

  • http://DiversifiedAdjustments Robert Kennedy

    I check my Credit Score frequently, and a noticed a negative report to my Credit, from Diversified Adjustments, stating i owed 62$. I called them and found out I did owe the money, and paid it in full no problem. But I never once was contaced that I owed money.

    My credit score dropped 100 points when that hit and only went up 40-50 points after I paid it. Im pretty sure that it is illegal to take somone to collections without contacting them over the delequint debt. I just want my Credit Score back to 750+.

    • Gerri Detweiler

      The only way to really get your credit score back up is to get the item removed all together. I would say that based on what you are saying it seems fair.

  • Kelly J Sparks

    I co-signed a car loan for my now ex girlfriend. I’m a co-borrower not a co-owner. She pays within the 10day grace period but I’m fearful that I’ll be labeled as “slow pay” and it will damage my current 805 credit score. If this happens can I and how would I go about suing her ungrateful ass?

    • Gerri Detweiler


      A payment made within that 10-day period is not usually reported to the credit reporting agencies. You can check your credit reports to be sure and use our free Credit Report Card to monitor your credit as well.

      If she is late with a payment, I am not sure suing her would be an option (and quite certain it won’t help undo the damage to your credit). You may want to monitor her payments carefully and be willing to step in before she lets a payment fall more than 30 days behind.

Find out where you stand.
Get your FREE personalized credit report card.

Sign Up Now

Stay connected to our experts

Please submit your email address to get credit & money tips & advice
from our team of 30+ experts, delivered weekly to your inbox.